Questions to Ask Before Moving
When preparing for a move, a common question arises about how to handle furniture with drawers, such as dressers and nightstands. Here’s what you need to know about emptying drawers before your move.
Why Emptying Drawers is Recommended
- Safety: Furniture becomes significantly heavier with items in the drawers. This extra weight can pose a safety risk to movers who need to lift, tilt, and maneuver these pieces.
- Preventing Damage: Items inside the drawers, especially fragile ones like glass, can get damaged during the move. Also, the furniture itself is more prone to damage if it’s heavier.
- Efficiency: Moving lighter furniture is generally faster and more efficient.
Concerns with Moving Drawers Separately
- Risk of Damage: Removing drawers and moving them separately can lead to higher chances of damage. Drawers are not designed to be transported individually and can be more susceptible to breaking or warping.
- Stacking Issues: Drawers don’t stack well, which can pose challenges in efficiently loading them onto a moving truck.
Best Practices for Handling Drawers
- Empty All Drawers: Regardless of the contents, it’s best to empty all drawers in furniture pieces. This includes clothes and other lightweight items.
- Pack Contents Separately: Pack the contents of the drawers in boxes or suitable packing materials.
- Discuss with Movers: If you have any specific concerns or ideas about handling drawers, discuss them with your moving company. They can provide guidance based on their experience and policies.
Exceptions and Special Considerations
- In some cases, if you’re moving very short distances or handling the move yourself, you might choose to leave lightweight items like clothes in the drawers. However, this is generally not advised for professional moves.
- If you’re intent on moving drawers separately for any reason, consult with the movers first to understand the risks and possible solutions.
In conclusion, while it might seem like a time-saver to leave items in drawers, the best practice for a safe and efficient move is to empty all drawers in your furniture. This not only protects your belongings but also ensures the safety and ease of moving for both you and the movers.